Stupid people exist. I'm tired of not calling them on it...

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ever feel useless?

For anyone who reads my blog can immediately understand that there are people in this world with no forward momentum to progress in life. They sit and do nothing and complain that they REALLY need to hit that Powerball soon. While I hate these people, there are those that I hate more.

Stupidity irks me. This is obvious from the title of this blog. But what really enrages me is injustice. The following will probably not be what you expect if you read my last posts. This is somewhat disturbing, and I urge discretion before reading it.

Recently, I was dispatched to a bad part of town (trailer park) for a suspected child abuse case. When I arrived I was greeted by the maintenance man for the area. He calmly greeted me and invited me in a trailer that was recently being renovated. He tells me heard from a friend of a friend of a friend (This is now 4th party) told a girl was being sexually molested in one of the trailers. I attempted contact with the 3rd party to confirm this, but they weren't home. So I moved up the scale and attempted to reach the 2nd party.

I made contact with a young girl (no more than 15) who told me her neighbor across the street (another young girl around 12-13) confided in her she was being molested.

Now, before I go any further, I want to clarify I did not rush on a rampaging crusade to save the girl immediately. I had to press the issue to see if she was lying out of spite or if this was a legitimate complaint. I asked a flurry of questions, each of which received a satisfactory response. I then requested she write a statement for me. A girl at the age of 15 wrote the following:

"...she stayed the night one night at my house. At 1:00 in the morning she was sad and cried. She told me her mommies boyfriend does bad things to her sometimes. She said he tells her get undressed and "do it like he showed her". She said she got undressed and on top of him. She said he tries to "stick it in her" and when she says "Ow" he says "We'll try again next year."

I could not believe the level of detail in this statement. A 15 year old should have no knowledge of this! I immediately forwarded the report to the child crime investigator who tells me that there may not be enough probable cause to remove the child from the home, and if we ask her to come down to the station without probable cause and the mother refuses, we may NEVER get to talk to her.

I was disheartened and left the case in her hands. A few days ago, the Detective called me to her desk and told me that they got her out of the house to try to talk to her. Unfortunately this 12 year old girl would not say anything negative about her mothers boyfriend. Apparently the Detective said she gave signs she wanted to talk by asking questions like, "If he did do something wrong how long would he go away?" By the end of the interview, the girl was in tears saying "I don't want him to go away, he's nice!"

I started to hold hope, that maybe this man wasn't doing this, and I was mistaken, when the Detective dropped a bombshell.

This gentleman's previous history showed him having sexual relations with his younger sister (age 6-9 at that time) and giving her gonorrhea. It shows additional underage sexual charges, with no convictions. Lastly it showed his relationship to some immediate family members. Suffice to say, the man is living with and sleeping with his cousin.

I asked the Detective what was next. She said the only thing we can do, is watch the home from time to time, and wait until the girl wants to talk.

Ever feel useless??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, she's going to want to talk when it's too late; when she's about 30. People are useless, not you. He, for doing this in the first place and being "NICE" to her. Her, for obvious reasons.